Instructions for Troop 560 Adults to take online "Youth Protection Training"
1) Login to myscouting.org as follows:
a. If you already have an account and remember your username and password, simply login.
b. If you do NOT remember if you have an account, or can’t remember the username or password, try to look up your username at the link "Forgot your User Name or Password?" on the left sidebar. Click on the " User Name" part of the text to look up your username. Enter your BSA ID and your birthdate and see if it finds an old username for you. If not you need to create a new account. Once you know your username you may reset your password here.
c. If you know you DON'T have a myScouting account, create a new account by clicking the "Create an account" under the "New to MyScouting?" header on myscouting.org. PLEASE enter the BSA ID (if you have one) at the prompt. Note there is an account creation demo linked here, that may be helpful.
d. For “new” adults who do not have a BSA ID yet, you cannot enter it yet so you will be required to print a certificate of completion in part 6 below.
2) Once logged into myscouting.org with your username and password, scroll down the page a bit. There is a big red button to take the training about halfway down, that looks like this:
You can also find YPT under the "eLearning" link on the left sidebar once logged into myscouting.org
3) The training takes no moire than a half hour.
4) At the end of the training you can download a letter from our Council Executive, Sarah Dawson. Where it shows the pulldown menu, select “Hawkeye Area Council”, then click on the “Download Scout Executive’s Letter” button and read it. (This is NOT a “Certificate of Completion”)
5) After downloading and reading the letter, RETURN to the training page in your web browser, and click on “Next”. (Sorry for the confusion! Just find the old tab in your browser)
6) You will now be given an opportunity to print a “Certificate of Completion” by entering in your name and Troop. You may not need to print this – please see below.
a. If you are a new adult who just created an account without their BSA ID, or have never entered your BSA ID into your myScouting account, you MUST print this and return it to me with your recharter materials.
b. If you logged in with an already-existing account which knows your BSA ID, you can verify that the training has been registered with BSA as follows: Click on either "E-Learning" or "Training Validation" which are links on the left sidebar after you successfully login to myscouting.org with your username/password. From there you will see a little form where you can check your training status for YPT, and also for other types of training. Just remember you have to be logged into your myScouting account to do this.
c. If you think your training hasn't registered with the BSA servers you may want to print out the certificate of completion at the end 'just in case' we need to send it to the Scout Shop. HOWEVER, If you are sure the training is registered- like if you successfully logged into your account and checked your status as described above- you won't need to print it out – I don’t need it since it’s already registered with the server.
d. You can always print out a certificate of completion at any time after you take the training, by clicking the “View Certificate” link on the same “e-Learning” page that had the “Retake Course” link for the training. So, no worries – you can always print out the certificate later, if you need it.